We are huge advocates of childhood brain development through constant brain exercise using puzzles and toys. Why stop the brain exercises as we get older? Like all muscles the brain needs to be exercised too. Puzzles are an amazing way to do so.
Puzzles are not just mental exercises for kids…
There are tons of benefits for YOU! Numerous studies have found that puzzles in conjunction with other healthy lifestyle choices will help you live longer, and make you less likely to get Alzheimer's, dementia and other forms of memory loss. Here is why:
Puzzles use both hemispheres!
- The right hemisphere is primarily responsible for visuospatial aspects of the puzzle. It focuses on the bigger picture - literally!
- The left hemisphere is logical. It is primarily responsible for solving the problem - fitting the puzzles pieces into their logical place. The left hemisphere is also responsible for speech if you are working with a friend on the puzzle.
- To finish the puzzle both hemispheres must work together! The collaboration between the hemispheres helps both grow stronger.
Puzzles also use concentration!
- The brain needs to focusand concentrate in order to complete the puzzle. Similar to how push-ups strengthen your arms muscles, concentrating helps strengthen an even more important muscle - your brain. Is a great alternative to mind numbing leisure activities such as watching television or movies.
Puzzles promote memory improvement!
- When completing a puzzle you exercise memory in many ways.
- You use short term memoryto remember which pieces you have seen that fit the gaps in the puzzle.
- You use long term memory to remember the what the bigger picture you are trying to create is.
- All of which will help keep your memory sharp!
Puzzles have so many other benefits & they are so accommodating!
They give you the freedom to pick the difficulty depending on what best suits you. You can complete puzzles with friends or a significant other and you can help your brains grow stronger together. When you complete an especially challenging puzzle - the feeling of accomplishment is awesome! Consider making your finished product into artwork to display your hard work and the beautiful picture that was produced by your brain exercising puzzle.
Since we are such big advocates of puzzles, we make sure to keep a very large stock at all times. Browse them here!