Stop letting stress take away from the little pleasures in life. Many people are afraid to pick up a hobby due to lack of time, lack of priority and too much stress in other aspects of their life. In reality, these are exactly the reasons some people should -need a hobby!
6 reasons a hobby reduces stress and leads to a happier and healthier life!
- Hobbies Create a Distraction
- Forget about all your worries! Having a hobby gives you a distraction from anything that may be stress-provoking. It causes you to focus on something you love doing!
- Hobbies give you the chance to actually step away from situations that bring negative emotions: stressful work situations, family or friend conflicts, etc. When you return to the issue refreshed, you will be able to complete it faster and save time!
- Having a hobby allows you to uncover hidden talents. Finishing a paint by number, a beautiful garden, or a tricky puzzle generates amazing feelings of accomplishment. It can even earn appreciation from fellow hobby enthusiasts!
- It is well known that having a hobby reduces blood pressure. This has a direct link to stress and health. Lower blood pressure means lower stress which reduces risk of heart disease!
- You will be surprised at how many other people enjoy your hobby! Finding local groups who share your interest gives you the chance to socialize and enjoy new friendships.
- The hobby you choose must be something you enjoy. Pick a hobby you cannot wait to start!
It is really important to find the hobby that is right for you! Different people find joy in different activities.
If you want wind-down by stimulating your mind try a puzzle, learn a new instrument, join a book club or writing. If you prefer to relax using your creative side try any of these ideas:
- pottery or sculpting classes
- a paint by number
- sewing or scrapbooking
If your type of hobby is one that requires physical activity try picking up a new sport, swimming with a friend, rock climbing, or hiking. You could even become a community dog walker!
No matter what your interest, the options are endless and the rewards of stress-free downtime are priceless.